transition01.jpg
transition03.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-3.jpg
Belvedere-to-Sculpture.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-1.jpg
Rendering-2.jpg
Rendering-3A.jpg
Rendering-4.jpg
Rendering-5.jpg
Terrace-Planters2.jpg
_P3_3855_250118-Edit_250118.jpg
_P3_3934_250118_250118.jpg
_P3_3941_250118_250118.jpg
previous arrow
next arrow

100 Cities - 100 Memorials

Geolocalisation bp

Memorial Inventory Project:  There is one other existing partial database to consult - The WWI Memorial Inventory Project [CLICK HERE]. It contains some memorials our map doesn't. The listings on this database are fair game for the Memorial Hunters Club. So if you want to search for treasure from your desk - find missing listings here and submit them. Remember though, you will need to come up with pictures and the history of the memorial. You might be able to hunt that down through www.Proquest.com and Google.

 

 

258 High St.
21776 New Windsor
MD
USA

A memorial located here commemorates the veterans of WWI.

30 Crescent St.
03243 Hill
NH
USA

A small metal eagle with wings has its talons resting on a small globe, which is mounted on a large square granite base. On its sides are plaques dedicating it to the sons of Hill who served in the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and WWI.

This is the third eagle for this monument. The original one was made of copper, then was replaced by four smaller aluminum eagles, and then they were replaced by the present one which is removed and stored for the winter.

207 Main St
06877 Ridegfield
CT
USA

This is a large rectangular box-shaped stone slab, perhaps made of limestone. It is mounted on a plinth, and has bronze plaques depicting images of cannon and flags with inscriptions honoring the citizens of Ridgefield who served in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Spanish-American War, and World War I.  It was dedicated on July 4, 1925.

Worthington Ridge and Farmington Ave
06037 Berlin
CT
USA

This monument consists of a 40-ft tall shaft of light gray granite on which sits a bronze eagle.  It is flanked by 2 flag poles, and an artillery piece is nearby.  Originally dedicated on November 11,1920 to honor the men and women of Berlin who served in the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I, later plaques were added for World War II and the Korean and Vietnam Wars. World War I veterans are honored with a two-sided memorial at the south end of the pergola. Both sides bear two columns of names listing residents who served in the war. The west face of the monument honors five residents killed in the conflict, including one who died in Red Cross service. 

  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70
Corner of N. Woodland Ave. & Jordan St.
61348 Oglesby
IL
USA

Front bronze plaque reads:

MEMORIAL
—-
DEDICATED
TO THE
SOLDIERS
AND
SAILORS
OF
OGLESBY
ILLINOIS
WHO OFFERED
THEIR SERVICE
AND LIVES
AT THE
NATION’S
CALL
IN THE
GREAT
WORLD
WAR
———
1914 -1918
———

Memorial Park hold Monuments and Memorials to all of those
who left the Oglesby community to defend freedom and liberty
throughout the world in the wars of our Republic.
The “World War” Memorial Monument sits prominently at the
original corner pedestrian entrance of the park.
The words in BOLD above appear on the front of the Memorial
Monument and each of the three sides holds a bronze plaque
ROLL OF HONOR with the names of 399 Oglesby area residents
who answered their Nation’s Call To Serve, included in those
lists are the names of the 19 who are remembered, with a star,
for their “Supreme Sacrifice” in the cause of Freedom & Liberty.
A World War 1 Army Field Artillery Piece, the Armstrong, 127MM
BL-60 MK1 Cannon, stands in the park behind the Memorial
Monument as an example of the shear might, that the United
States Army and Navy displayed in ending “The Great War”

W. Markham and Van Buren Sts
72201 Little Rock
AR
USA

The War Memorial Football Stadium was dedicated on September 18, 1948 in memory of those who served in World War I and World War II.

301 Van Ness Ave.
94102 San Francisco
CA
USA

War Memorial Veterans Building and Opera House

100 Cities / 100 Memorials

100c 100m wwi centennial plaqueThe War Memorial Veterans Building and the War Memorial Opera House comprise the War Memorial Complex. San Franciscans, inspired by the ending of World War One, initiated the building, in the 1920’s of a war memorial dedicated “to all who served.’ The complex opened in 1932 to Bay Area acclaim. In commemoration of the signing of the 1918 Armistice ending The Great War, the San Francisco Performing Arts Center Foundation organized a series of exhibits and displays in the lobby of the War Memorial Veterans Building and the American Legion’s Veterans Gallery. The Centennial Commemoration included banners, displays and video monitors depicting various historic milestones of the war and their effect on the San Francisco Bay area from the declaration of war by Congress in 1917, to city celebrations of the armistice signing in 1918, to the return of local veterans in 1919.

301 Van Ness Avenue
94102 San Francisco
CA
USA

100 Cities / 100 Memorials

100c 100m wwi centennial plaqueIn commemoration of the signing of the 1918 Armistice ending The Great War, the San Francisco Performing Arts Center Foundation organized a series of exhibits and displays in the lobby of the War Memorial Veterans Building and the American Legion’s Veterans Gallery.  The War Memorial Veterans Building and the War Memorial Opera House comprise the War Memorial Complex. San Franciscans, inspired by the ending of World War One, in the 1920's initiated the building of a war memorial dedicated “to all who served.’ The complex opened in 1932 to Bay Area acclaim.  The Centennial Commemoration included banners, displays and video monitors depicting various historic milestones of the war and their effect on the San Francisco Bay area from the declaration of war by Congress in 1917, City celebrations of the armistice signing in 1918, to the return of local veterans in 1919.

301 Van Ness Avenue
94102 San Francisco
CA
USA

100 Cities / 100 Memorials

100c 100m wwi centennial plaque The War Memorial Veterans Building and the War Memorial Opera House comprise the War Memorial Complex. San Franciscans, inspired by the ending of World War One, in the 1920's initiated the building of a war memorial dedicated “to all who served.’  The complex opened in 1932 to Bay Area acclaim. In commemoration of the signing of the 1918 Armistice ending The Great War, the San Francisco Performing Arts Center Foundation organized a series of exhibits and displays in the lobby of the War Memorial Veterans Building and the American Legion’s Veterans Gallery.  The Centennial Commemoration included banners, displays and video monitors depicting various historic milestones of the war and their effect on the San Francisco Bay area from the declaration of war by Congress in 1917, City celebrations of the armistice signing in 1918, to the return of local veterans in 1919.

  • Dedication Date: 1923
  • Nathan Potter
501 North Street (Rt. 28 & E. Broad St)
07090 Westfield
NJ
USA

This striking monument sits in a busy intersection leading into downtown Westfield, NJ.  It consists of a tall, horizontally banded granite column with a simple capital, topped by a bronze sculpture of Clio the Muse.  The column rests on a granite plinth square base with rusticated edges. 

Photos courtesy of: 
Front view - NJ State Historic Preservation Office
Rear view - Sheena Chi

  • Dedication Date: July 3, 1924
Bismarck
ND
USA

The original Liberty Memorial Bridge that carried the Memorial Highway over the Missouri River was demolished in 2009. The new bridge was also named a memorial bridge and part of its construction included building monuments at each end surrounding the War Mother Memorial granite boulder markers that were originally dedicated July 3, 1924. Granite was chosen because the boulders had "withstood the storms and stress of the ages as best typifying mother love."

William Land Park, Freeport Blvd
95822 Sacramento
CA
USA

A pylon base of mortared granite stones supports a metal sculpture of a spread-winged eagle standing on a nest of twigs. Dedicated In 1926 by the Woman's Council of Sacramento, this was placed here to commemorate the Sacramento County residents who served in WWI.

300 E Monument Ave
34741 Kissimmee
FL
USA

Dedicated on Veterans Day 1968, this obelisk monument honors the veterans of World War I, World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

  • Toltz, King, and Day
312 3rd St SE
58701 Minot
ND
USA

The Ward County Courthouse is the first courthouse in North Dakota to be built with Art Deco/Art Moderne inspiration. It was designed by Toltz, King, and Day and constructed by Olson and Orheim in 1929 for a cost of $498,000. The courthouse was recently connected to a new building to the north and will see some renovations as the offices inside are reorganized. The ex-servicemen's room inside the courthouse is still used by the American Legion and other groups.

5 3rd St NE
58746 Kenmare
ND
USA

Also known as Kenmare City Memorial Hall, this memorial was built in 1930 with $15,000 from Ward County and $25,000 from the City of Kenmare. The main level was remodeled in 1997 and serves as a meeting hall/gymnasium, city offices, and the public library. The upper level was not remodeled and provides rooms where various community groups meet.

31501 Waycross
GA
USA
Erected in 1935
  • City of Waycross
  • Single figure -- soldier
100 Plant Ave.
31501 Waycross
GA
USA

A single "doughboy" soldier in bronze holding a rifle in one hand and a grenade in another.  Erected in 1935

  • Dedication Date: November 11, 1935
  • Photos courtesy of Reuben Lasseter and Lamar Veatch
  • Single figure -- soldier
Doughboy Park -- triangular park between Plant Avenue, Mary Street, and Loft Street
31501 Waycross
GA
USA

This statue, one of E.M. Viquesney's iconic Spirit of the American Doughboy sculptures, was cast in zinc. Although the doughboy was originally equipped with a bayonet, the bayonet was lost sometime after 1967. The statue's base features a bronze plaque that reads:

DEDICATED TO
THE MEMORY OF OUR COMRADES
WHO ENTERED THE SERVICE
OF THEIR COUNTRY
FROM WARE COUNTY
AND WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE WORLD WAR
-
SPONSORED BY
WARE CO. POST NO. 10, AMERICAN LEGION
NOVEMBER 11, 1935

 

Site also includes “Flame of Freedom” monument, dedicated November 11, 1969.

  • Dedication Date: November 1919
47993 Williamsport
IN
USA
Monumental Park, 227 Mahoning Ave.
44483 Warren
OH
USA

This is a life-size copper WWI infantryman, holding a rifle in his left hand and a grenade in his right. At his feet are two stumps and some barbed wire, representing No Man's land. It was sculpted by E.M. Viquesney and dedicated in 1941 by the Clarence Hyde Post No. 278 of the American Legion in memory of those who served in WWI.