transition01.jpg
transition03.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-3.jpg
Belvedere-to-Sculpture.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-1.jpg
Rendering-2.jpg
Rendering-3A.jpg
Rendering-4.jpg
Rendering-5.jpg
Terrace-Planters2.jpg
_P3_3855_250118-Edit_250118.jpg
_P3_3934_250118_250118.jpg
_P3_3941_250118_250118.jpg
previous arrow
next arrow

100 Cities - 100 Memorials

Geolocalisation bp

Memorial Inventory Project:  There is one other existing partial database to consult - The WWI Memorial Inventory Project [CLICK HERE]. It contains some memorials our map doesn't. The listings on this database are fair game for the Memorial Hunters Club. So if you want to search for treasure from your desk - find missing listings here and submit them. Remember though, you will need to come up with pictures and the history of the memorial. You might be able to hunt that down through www.Proquest.com and Google.

 

 

  • Width: 7'
  • Other Measurements: Eagle H:1'2
  • December 5, 1920
  • Dedication Date: December 5, 1920
  • American Legion
  • Eagle on ball on triangular shaft on plinth; small tablet on ground with dedication date
  • Piccirilli Brothers
  • Single figure -- animal
Metropolitan Ave
11211 New York
NY
USA

1) THIS MEMORIAL / RECORDS THE / PATRIOTISM / AND DEVOTION / OF THE MEN
OF / THE 13TH ASSEMBLY / DISTRICT WHO / SERVED THE / UNITED STATES/
IN THE WORLD / WAR / 1917-1918

2)/ [Honor Rolls]

3) Tablet:: ": DEC / 5 / 1920" [sealed box beneath tablet]

 

Architect: Presbrey, Leland Co.

  • Other Measurements: Pedestal H:5' W:2'8
  • November 20, 1921
  • Dedication Date: November 20, 1921
  • Bushwick-Ridgewood Citizens
  • Doughboy figure with integral plinth, on pedestal, tablet set in ground at proper right
  • Pietro Montana
  • Single figure -- soldier
1424 Myrtle Ave
11237 Brooklyn
NY
USA

1) pedestal, front: "TO THE MEMORY / OF THE / BUSHWICK-RIDGEWOOD / BOYS WHO SERVED / IN THE WORLD WAR / 1917-1918"

2) tablet: "NOV. / 11 / 1920"

 

Architect: Giles Greene Pollard

200 Grand Ave
94610 Oakland
CA
USA

Veterans Memorial Building, Albany, CA; Alameda County, GSA-Building Maintenance, 1401 Lakeside Or., 10th Floor, Oak¬land, CA 94612; Outdoors. Free.
At the south entrance of the building is a concrete bust of a sol¬dier, high on the wall of the building in an ornately decorated niche. The soldier wears a uniform and helmet. It was placed here in 1931. when the building was constructed, to honor the veterans of WWI.

1325 Portland Ave
94706 Albany
CA
USA

At the south entrance of the building is a concrete bust of a soldier, high on the wall of the building in an ornately decorated niche. The soldier wears a uniform and a helmet.  It was placed here in 1931, when the building was constructed to honor the veterans of World War I.

700 Court Square
36037 Greenville
AL
USA
  • Dedication Date: November, 2011
  • Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch
East 3rd and Dempsey Avenue
30233 Jackson
GA
USA

City memorial park consisting of inscribed black granite.  Names of service members who died in service are inscribed on main tablets.  Eight names from WW1 are listed here.  Names and information of others that served are inscribed on adjacent tablets.  

Inscription:  “All Gave Some, Some Gave All….In This Hallowed Place We Remember The Sons and Daughters of Butts County Who Died So That Liberty Might Live”

1800 Cabrillo National Monument Dr
92106-3601 San Diego
CA
USA

This park became a national monument in 1913 and the primary focus is on the explorations of Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo in 1542. It became important as a coastal defense site for WWI and WWII, and several remnants of defense facilities can be visited here. On the ocean side off Gatchell Road are two Panama mounts which held WWl vintage 155 mm guns that could track and shoot at a moving ship, or be turned toward Mexico in case the Japanese were to attack from that direction.

Also open are a base line station used in determining the range and position of the enemy for directing artillery fire, and a 60" search ­light installation, where the light rose out of a concrete bunker when needed. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse, built in 1854-55 and used for storage and as a radio tower during WWII, has been retored.

Fort Rosecrans was located here on Point Loma during WWI and WWII, and in November of 1999 a museum exhibit was opened to the public, portraying the stories of the soldiers stationed here. It is located in a small three-room building erected in 1916 as the Army Radio and Meteorological Station. Visitors can see film clips of the coastal defense guns being fired, personal memorabilia, a 16-inch shell, and displays explaining the operation of the guns. On site is a library collection of 2,000 volumes relating to the history of the site.

110 SW 2nd ST
73005 Anadarko
OK
USA

Caddo County Veterans Memorial

100 Cities / 100 Memorials

100c 100m wwi centennial plaque This iconic 1922 Doughboy statue - originally dedicated to honor the 48 Caddo County men killed during World War I -  has been recently restored and now includes the names of those fallen or MIA  in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and post 9-11.

  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: thewanderer
71101 Shreveport
LA
USA

This memorial is located in downtown Shreveport, Louisiana in front of the Chamber of Commerce. It is dedicated to the soldiers from Shreveport who died during the Great War.

  • Dedication Date: November 11, 1921
925 Quintard Ave (median)
36201 Anniston
AL
USA

On a river rock base sits a bronze sculpture dedicated on Armistice Day 1921.  The eagle was added 4 years later.  The sculptor is unknown.  On the south face is a plaque dedicated to the soldiers and sailors from Calhoun County who served in the Great War, and on the north face is an honor roll of the 41 names. The south face inscription reads: "This Tablet is Erected in Honor of the Soldiers and Sailors from Calhoun County Alabama who Served in the Great War 1917-1919".  The north face inscription reads: "Better the shot, the blade, the bowl, than crucifixion of the soul."  [from the Maryland state song "Maryland My Maryland" by James Ryder Randall].  Forty-one names are listed.

A lower plaque reads: "In 1921, Calhoun County memorialized its casualties of World War I
with this monument, unveiled on Armistice Day, as a proud testament to the bravery of these men.
Nearly a hundred years later, in 2014, military research conducted by The Anniston Star's editorial board discovered at least nineteen additional U.S. military personnel whose names, for reasons unknown, were not included on the original plaque. In 2016, the City of Anniston erected this memorial, providing these nineteen Calhoun County casualties of the Great War their deserved place of honor. Nineteen names are listed.

  • Photos courtesy of Lamar Veatch
401 West Line Street
30701 Calhoun
GA
USA

A monument on the grounds of the Legion post, inscribed “In memory of our buddies who did not come back.”

State Capitol
95814 Sacramento
CA
USA

Dedicated on Veterans Day in 1992, this memorial honors the more than 5 million Californians who have served in the U.S. military since 1850.  It was sponsored by the California Veterans Memorial Commission and consists of a small plaza in a grove of mature trees, bordered by a low curved natural berm along which benches have been placed.  In the middle of the plaza is a sculptured granite obelisk representing a united force reaching upward to recognize the heroic determination of the state's veterans.  It also represents the devastation of war, being decorated with a blend of smooth black surfaces and almost ghostly images of people in determined defense of their country.  The obelisk is split into four sections, set on the four main compass points, to represent the limitless boundaries of their determination.  The split itself represents the destructive nature of war and the potential fragmenting of our nation.

  • Dedication Date: 1967
1452 Saddle Bronc Rd Deming New Mexico
88030 Deming
NM
USA

Memorial was removed. Exact location unknown. 

  • 1928
  • Dedication Date: 1928
  • Allegheny County
  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Andrew Capets
Oakmont Service Plaza
15147 Verona
PA
USA

Camp D. D. Gaillard

15th U.S. Engineers. World War Volunteers. Enlisted at Pittsburgh. Trained here May 23, 1917 to July 8, 1917. Embarked from New York July 9, 1917. England July 19, 1917, to July 23, 1917. First Armed foreign troops to land in England since Sixteenth Century. France July 28, 1917, to April 13, 1819. Debarked at New York, April 27, 1919. Mustered out of service at Camp Sherman May 15, 1929. Pittsburgh’s Pioneer Engineers. Erected by Allegheny County 1928.

Marker is on the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Oakmont Service Plaza.

  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70
Randolph Road at Currie Road
73503 Lawton
OK
USA

IN JUNE 1917, ON THE PRARIE WEST AND SOUTH OF HERE. ONE OF THE GREAT TRAINING GROUNDS OF THE
FIRST WORLD WAR WAS ESTABLISHED. NAMED IN HONOR OF MISSOURI’S COLONEL ALEXANDER W. DOLIPHAN OF MEXICAN
WAR FAME THE HUGE NATIONAL ARMY CANTONMENT OCCUPIED 1,200 ACRES AND WAS LAID OUT IN MTHE FORM OF A
HORSESHOE, OPENING TO THE EAST. THE MARKER IS AT THE SITE OF THE NORTH ENTRANCE TOL THE CAMP.
FRAME MESS HALLS, STOREHOUSES, CANTEENS AND OTHER FACILITIES WERE ERECTED BY THE SELDEN-BRECK
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY OF SAINT LOUIS. THE REST OF THE CAMP WAS A CITY OF PYRAMIDAL TENTS HEATED BY SIBLEY
STOVES.”JITNEYS” AND A TROLLY LINE PROVIDED TRANSPORTATION TO LAWTON.
INFANTRY UNITS OF THE OKLAHOMA NATIONAL GUARD, PART OF THE 36TH DIVISION COMMANDED BY MAJOR GENERAL
EDWIN ST. JOHN GREBLE, TRAINED IN THE SUMMER OF 1917 BEFORE JOINING THE DIVISIONS TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD
ELEMENTS AT CAMP BOWIE. ON 13 SEPTEMBER THE 35TH DIVISION, COMPRISING THE KANSAS AND MISSOURI NATIONAL
GUARD, AND COMMANDED BY MAJOR GENERAL WILLIAM M. WRIGHT, WAS ACTIVATED HERE, CAMP DONIPHAN WAS ITS
HOME FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS.
THE 50,000 MEN WHO TRAINED HERE WOULD REMEMBER WITH NOSTALGIA THE WIND, THE DUST, THE HEAT OF SUMMER,
THE COLD OF WINTER IN CANVAS TENTS, THE STRENUOUS DRILLS AND MARCHES, AND THE ENDLESS DIGGING OF TRENCHES,
DUGOUTS, AND ARTILLERY EMPLACEMENTS IN HARD-BAKED SOIL AND HARDER ROCK IN “NO MAN’S LAND” NEAR
SIGNAL MOUNTAIN.
AMONG NOTED MISSOURIANS PRESENT WERE 1ST LIEUTENANT HARRY S. TRUMAN, BATTERY F, 129TH FIELD ARTILLERY,
LATER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, AND CAPTAIN DWIGHT F. DAVIS, COMPANY L, 138TH INFANTRY, LATER SECRETARY
OF WAR, MAJOR GENERAL ROBERT M. DANFORD, LAST CHIEF OF FIELD ARTILLERY, COMMANDED THE 129TH FOR A PERIOD
HERE. A MARKER ON GRIERSON HILL OVERLOOKS THE ENCAMPMENT OF PRESIDENT TRUMEN’S BATTERY F.
IN THE SPRING OF 1918, TO THE HAUNTING STRAIN OF “OVER THERE;’ THE MEN OF THE 35TH LEFT FOR THE BATTLEFIELDS
OF FRANCE. THERE, WITH THEIR COMRADES-IN-ARMS OF THE 36TH, THEY FOUGHT AND DIED IN THE MEUSE-ARGONNE
OFFENSIVE, ONE OF HISTORY’S MOST DECISIVE CAMPAIGNS.
AFTER THEIR DEPARTURE, CAMP DONIPHAN BECAME A FIELD ARTILLERY BRIGADE FIRING CENTRE, COMMANDED BY
BRIGADIER GENERAL EDMUND L. GRUBER, COMPOSER OF THE “CAISSON SONG.” IN THE LATER YEARS THE SITE WAS AS THE
SUMMER TRAINING CAMP FOR THE OKLAHOMA NATIONAL GUARD.
THIS PLAQUE, TOGETHER WITH THE SIMPSON GUN ON SIGNAL MOUNTAIN THAT OVERLOOKS THE CAMP DONIPHAN AREA, STAND AS
LASTING AND GRATEFUL MEMORIALS TO THE HOST OF BRAVE SOLDIERS WHO TRAINED HERE IN FREEDOM’S CAUSE IN WORLD WAR ONE.

  • The Daughters of the American Revolution erected a monument to the soldiers who served at Camp Greene. The monument is surrounded by a wrought iron fence and is located on the northeast corner of Wilkinson Boulevard and Monument Street in Charlotte, which are two of Charlotte’s thoroughfares.
  • The Daughters of the American Revolution
  • (Side Facing South) Erected by Mecklenburg Chapter Daughters of American Rev. in Commemoration of Camp Greene and In Honor of the Men Who Were Trained There For Service In World War Camp Greene July 12, 1917-June 30, 1919 (Side Facing East) 9th Infantry Brigade, 50th Infantry, 3rd Battalion, 90th Infantry, 2nd Battalion 122nd Infantry. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 56th, 57th, 810th, 817th Pioneer Infantries 3rd and 4th Motor Mechanics Regiments. 306th, 307th, 308th, 309th, 310th, 505th, 608th, 609th, 613th, 614th, 623rd, 627th, 680th, Aero Squadrons. 435th Engineers 51st Depot Brigade 1st Army Headquarters Detachment. 117th Ordnance Depot Company 3rd Division (Side Facing North) 17th and 41st Batallions United States Guards, 1st and 2nd Sanitary Squads. 60th and 429th Ambulance Companies. 30th Evacuation Hospital. 54th, 92nd, 122nd, 123rd, 147th Base Hospitals. Provisional Guard Unit. 318th and 371st Machine Shop Truck Units. 47th and 330th Motor Truck Companies. 7th, 92nd, 360th, 369th Bakery Companies. 306th Auxiliary Remount Depot. 344th, 345th, 346th, 347th and 348th Companies A and D of 349th Company A 350th and 423rd Labor Battalions and Camp Troops. 41st Division (Side Facing West) August 1, 1917-September 15, 1917 Commander Major W. S. Privott 3rd Battalion, 2nd N. C. Infantry, Co. B, ENG, N.C. N. G. Charlotte, NC. Capt. C. E. Bosch, COMDG. Co. D, 1st Inf. N.C.N.G. Charlotte, N.C. Capt. J. A. Parker, COMDG. M.G., Co. 1st Inf. N.C. N.G. Charlotte, N.C. Capt. R. H. Morrison, COMDG. Co. I, 2nd Inf. N.C. N.G. Edenton, N.C. Lieutenant E. G. Bell, COMDG. Co. K. 2nd Inf., N.C. N.G., Wilson, N.C. Capt. Louis Giddings, COMDG. Co. L. 2nd Inf. N.C. N. G. Lumber Bridge, N.C. Lieut. L. M. Currie, COMDG., Co. M. 2nd Inf., N.C. N. G., Dunn, N.C. Capt. J. L. Hines, COMDG. Lieut. Part of 30th Division
  • Tower
Ashley Park
28208 Charlotte
NC
USA

Description:

The monument was erected to honor the men who trained for World War One at Camp Greene. The most striking feature is a tall fluted column with an elaborate carving at the top holding the earth. The column stands on a large granite plinth on a triple base with inscriptions naming all the units stationed at the camp. The south face also has the spinning wheel insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution above the inscription. It is surrounded by a black wrought iron fence.

  • Dedication Date: 1924
  • Capt. Robert Ingersoll Aitken
Madison Avenue & Knickerbocker Road
07627 Cresskill
NJ
USA

In August 1919, Bergen County purchased land for a monument commemorating the role of Camp Merritt during the Great War at the intersection of Madison Avenue & Knickerbocker Road in Cresskill - marking the center of the largest embarkation camp in the US during WWI.  Modeled after the Washington Monument, the obelisk is 65 feet tall and made of granite.  Inscribed on the base are the names of the 578 people who died at the camp, mostly as the result of the 1918 influenza epidemic.  A large carved relief by the sculptor Robert Ingersoll Aitken shows a striding doughboy with an eagle flying overhead.

Set into a large boulder is a copper plaque with a relief of the Palisades, illustrating that the Camp Merritt site was used as an area of embarkation.  The plaque was designed by artist Katherine Lamb Tait.

The monument was dedicated on May 30, 1924.  A crowd of 20,000 heard a dedicatory address given by famed Army General Pershing.

Narrative adapted from Bergen County, NJ official website. 

Photo courtesy of:  Smithsonian Institution Research Information System (SIRIS)

  • Dedication Date: 1921
  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: thewanderer
04917 Belgrade
ME
USA

Inscription:

In Proud and Happy Memory
of the members of Camp Merryweather
who gave their lives for their country
in the Great War 1914-1918
AUGUSTUS ASPINWALL
EMMONS BLAINE
VICTOR CHAPMAN
ARCHIBALD COATS
JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
HAMILTON COOLIDGE
ALFRED MONTGOMERY GOODALE
EDMUND PIKE GRAVES
FREDERICK CHESTER LADD
PHILLIPS QUINCY MUIRHEAD

But yet-but yet-ah! ne'er forget
In tempest or in night
That clear and true still shines for you
The Merryweather Light

704 E. Military Dr.
72118 North Little Rock
AR
USA

This memorial is located on an active military base at the Camp Robinson Chapel.

  • Dedication Date: 1955
  • Memorial Hunters Club Submission: Memorial Hunter: Robert Shay, PH3, USNR-R, 1964-70
500 South Gillette Avenue
82716 Gillette
WY
USA

This memorial, the older of the two in Gillette, honors "all who served our country in time of war" and lists the names of those from Campbell County who gave their lives in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. It is located outside the courthouse.